You might have heard of the famous RMS Titanic luxury ship which sadly sank after hitting an iceberg on April 15, 1912 on her very first voyage ever.
Here are some cool facts:
- The Titanic was built between 1909 and 1911.
- It was 882 feet (269 metres) in length and 175 feet (53 metres) in height.
- The Titanic had a crew of around 900 people.
- The Titanic’s engines were powered by pressurized steam from burning coal.
- It was a luxury passenger liner that carried some of the world’s richest people as well as others looking for a new life in North America.
- The Titanic’s intended course was from Southampton, England to New York City, USA.
- It left Southampton on April 10, 1912 and stopped at destinations in France and Ireland before heading west towards New York.
- It collided with an iceberg and sank on April 15, 1912.
- While the Titanic carried over 2200 people, there were only enough life boats for around 1200 of them.
- Over 1500 people died because of the sinking.
- The remains of the Titanic wreck sit on the sea bed over 12400 feet (3780 metres) beneath the surface.